Jan 29, 2019
Welcome to the All Fired Up Second Annual Crappy Awards! In this
nail biting episode, we hear rants from people all over the world
who are letting us know their thoughts on the sh*ttiest diet
culture trend for 2018. Hilary Smith, social justice warrior, pole
dancer AND winner of last years’ Inaugural Crappy awards, is here
to judge the contestants, and my goodness it’s a stiff competition!
Pour yourself a drink and get ready to be utterly gobsmacked by the
utter diet culture bullsh*t delivered in 2018!
- It’s time for the 2nd annual Crappy Awards show! Thank you to
everybody who submitted their audio rants, we have a very high
standard of entries this year! And it is fantastic to have
applications from listeners as well as non-diet health
- What was the worst, most irritating diet culture trend for
2018? I am joined by last year’s Crappy Award winner, Hilary Smith,
who has kindly agreed to come on the show to judge this years
entrants and crown the new winner!
- Hilary will judge each nomination according to Creativity,
Quality of the Argument, Passion, and Number of Swear Words.
- Louise needed to have a little rant about her pet peeve for
2018, the f*cking intermittent fasting craze, with a special
mention to Michael Mosely for expanding the spread of such
bullsh*t. And to all of the health professionals and researchers
pretending that this stupidity is the key to long lasting,
effective weight loss, Louise says SCREW YOU!
- Crappy Award Nominee #1, from New Zealand’s Tania Vincent from
Thrive Nutrition: A horrific facebook ad for a fat shaming phone
app, using cute little cartoon characters to sell calorie
- Crappy Award Nominee #2, from listener Jade Pettersen: After
having gastric surgery, it seems like your body becomes public
property! And the support groups online are like breeding grounds
for eating disorders!
- Crappy Award Nominee #3, from listener Ava: Louise reads a
heartfelt email about how the weight loss surgery business model is
targeting vulnerable people. A good friend of Ava’s was encouraged
to take out her superannuation to pay for the surgery, even though
her friend has significant mental health issues. Ethics
- Crappy Award Nominee #4, from Mind Body Well psychologist Janet
Lowndes: The incredibly unethical “Fast Track to Health” trial
being run here in Sydney and Melbourne, where adolescents are being
put on intermittent fasting diets for an entire year, in
spite of the lack of efficacy for this type of diet. This is just a
recipe for an eating disorder, and it is equally heart breaking and
enraging that it’s allowed to proceed!
- Crappy Award Nominee #5, from Heather Eisman all the way from
Alaska!: The “Bright Lines Eating” program by Susan Peirce
Thompson, a horrendous example of monetising the 12 step programs
and increasing restrictive thinking in people who already have
- Crappy Award Nominee #6, from UNTRAPPED member Alyssa:
Unsolicited health advice from thin people who think they are
- Crappy Award Nominee #7, also from Alyssa: The Cookie Diet -
almost no words!
- Crappy Award Nominee #8, from Anna Hearn from Haven Wellness:
The entire diet culture and its relentless toxicity, in particular
this idea (incorrect) that we can all ‘choose’ our own body weight.
Not supported by science!
- Crappy Award Nominee #9, from Sona, member of Haven Wellness:
Policing people who speak about HAES beyond the idea of body
- Crappy Award Nominee #10, from Natalie Haider, psychologist and
yoga instructor from Haven Wellness: Placing the pursuit of health
on a pedestal while ignoring all of the other ways humans can be
absolute shits to each other.
- Crappy Award Nominee #11, from listener Mia in California: “WW”
and the awful Mindy Grossman, planning to get WW into every home on
the planet. Please bugger off Mindy.
- The Second Annual Crappy Award Prize is a Bullshit Button!
- The Crappy Award winner is Alyssa, nominee #6, for unsolicited
- Unbelievably well delivered sarcasm means Alyssa wins, with 4
equally amazing ties for second place!
- Hilary Smith’s award winning
Crappy rant from last year’s show:
- The incredibly fatphobic ad for
the Huawei mobile phone calorie counter app, thank you to Tania
Vincent from Thrive
Nutrition for this entry!
- Find out more about the amazing anti-diet psychologist Janet
- Find out more about Anna Hearn & Haven wellness here